Another school year has come and gone... but there was a lot that happened in between the dash of school year 2009-2010. This year brought a lot of firsts and a few lasts. Riley's FIRST day of school, and her LAST days as a pre-schooler. Those words were enough to bring a few tears to this mother's eyes. The Darius Rucker song "She Won't Be Like this For Long" was a frequent on the play list as I lamented the days of preschool glory. (Then I remembered that my day care bill would be a quarter of what it was, and I pulled myself right out of the pit of dispair.) Honestly, the first day of school was pretty uneventful for her. She marched right down the hall, gave Mom and Dad a kiss and assured us that she would be ok. And she was.
Landrie finished Third grade this year. Apparently Third grade is a first because you are officially "kicked out of the nest". No more teacher's helpful notes and reminders of homework assignments, tests, etc. Third graders are expected to remember all this stuff and communicate these important bits of information to their parents. (Excuse me while I finish laughing). Third grade was a reality shock for all of us. Hello first science fair projects (THAT COUNT!!), social studies reports, science reports, multiplication, and division! So long daily folder reports, easy spelling words, AR books that could be read in a night... I must say-I'm glad that's over!! All kidding aside, the first few weeks were tough as we got used to these new expectations. There were a lot of frustrated, tag team homework nights, but she ended up with wonderful grades (won Student of the Month for May!), and I couldn't be more proud of how much she matured this year.
Another first for Lu this year was BRACES! And Headgear! And an Expander! Big, big changes. Huge. As soon as the braces went on, she seemed older to me. She looked older, she acted older- She was a trooper. Have I mentioned that I'm proud?
Another first- Riley started her first sport this year! She decided to follow in her big sister's cleated footsteps and "dance" half speed into the wonderful world of Rec League soccer. I had no idea what to expect- Mia Hamm.. she was not. BUT, I assure you that no one smiled and skipped (and looked as good doing it) as this curly headed child. She scored a few goals during the Fall Season, and by the Spring season became fairly proficient at finding the net! Was so proud of her for trying and for how far she came in two short seasons..... and she had an absolute blast in the process.
Landrie had a great soccer season this year- I think the highlight was scoring the winning goal to beat the 10 year old squad with just seconds left on the clock. She felt like a champ that day. She played basketball this year, and also tried her hand at tennis and was pretty good at that too. I'm not sure what she will do with herself for the Summer, but I have a feeling she will find something.
The last days of school were bittersweet. They girls were excited to get to summer- swimming, long sunny afternoons, Jack and Jill friends, and lazy weekends.... but, they were sad to say goodbye to the friends they see everyday in the hallways of Cook School. Riley was wondering if she will ever see them again- I assured her that August will roll around much faster then she thinks. All in all, School Year 2009-20010 was a great year. Many firsts, a few sad lasts, a lot of new things, a lot of changes- such is life. Goodbye forever Kindergarten... Third grade, we will be visiting you again in a couple of years. Bring on Summer!!


No comments:
Post a Comment